2022 Virtual Test Judges Promotional School for Singles and Ice Dance
Oct. 7-9, 2022
Via Zoom video conference (links will be provided after acceptance)
PROMOTIONAL SCHOOL OFFERS
Three days of intensive training will be provided by national and international judges. Current and prospective judges may attend for ONE of the following options:
- To test for a singles test judge appointment (bronze, silver or gold)
- For education only in singles test judging
- To test for a dance test judge appointment (bronze, silver or gold)*
- For education only in dance test judging
IMPORTANT: Because the education and testing will run in parallel for singles and dance test appointments, it is NOT possible to attend for more than one discipline.
*Note: The Judges Training Subcommittee is working on a school for international dance test certification to be held sometime in 2023. More information will be provided as soon as it is available.
- $25 to test
- $10 for education only
To be eligible to attend, you must:
- Meet the prerequisite guidelines; and
- Be at least 18 years of age by the first day of the promotional school; and
- Be a current member in good standing of U.S. Figure Skating (Learn to Skate USA membership does not fulfill the membership requirement) and meet all compliance requirements; and
- Hold one or more appointments as a judge OR be registered as a trial judge; and
- Be able to provide references from three to five silver or higher test judges within the discipline for which you are applying.
HOW DO I EARN AN APPOINTMENT THROUGH THE PROMOTIONAL SCHOOL
- A peer evaluation will be completed by the Judges Management Subcommittee as part of the application review process for those who apply to test for a test appointment.
- Those who are accepted to the promotional school will take a practical exam(s) during the school.
- Those who successfully pass the practical exam(s) will have to take and pass the applicable online exam following the promotional school to earn an appointment/promotion. Detailed information and instructions regarding the online exam will be emailed to each candidate, upon request of the applicable sectional vice chair, following the school.
FOR WHAT LEVEL CAN I TEST?
Standard candidates are only eligible to test for one level above their current judging appointment (a bronze test judge can only apply for a silver test judge appointment, for example). If you are a standard candidate and do not have a current appointment, you are only eligible to apply for a bronze test judge appointment.
Accelerated/advanced/select candidates who have no current appointments may choose to start at any of the test judge levels (bronze, silver or gold). If you are seeking promotion to a higher level, apply for the highest level you wish to achieve (i.e. if you are currently a bronze test judge and wish to be promoted to a gold test judge, apply for promotion to gold test judge).
CEUS AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO ATTEND
- A maximum of 45 CEUs can be earned by those who attend the full promotional school
APPLICATION AND ACCEPTANCE
To apply, please complete the online application at:
Applications will only be accepted through this online form. Payment is not required with the application but will be requested later only of those who are accepted.
The deadline to apply is Friday, Aug. 26, 2022
No one will be notified of acceptance until the deadline has passed and peer evaluations have been received. All applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than the end of the day on Monday, Sept. 12, 2022.
SPACE IS LIMITED. MEETING THE QUALIFICATIONS DOES NOT GUARANTEE ACCEPTANCE.
The subcommittee must take into consideration things such as the number of candidates relative to the number of faculty to give all participants a chance to take part in discussions so everyone can be evaluated fairly. In addition, video quality tends to degrade as more people are connected to a Zoom meeting, so numbers will also need to be limited to allow for a positive experience in that regard. If there is not enough space to accept all applicants, priority will be given to those who apply to test for an appointment; and activity, time in grade and peer evaluations will be considered in determining acceptance.
Questions regarding the promotional school can be directed to Kerry Jennings-Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the online application can be directed to Juliet Newcomer at email@example.com.