U.S. Figure Skating’s Competitions Committee, with support of the Board of Directors at its April 6 meeting, announces the following as it relates to the 2020 National Qualifying Series (NQS). These actions were taken as a result of the ongoing review of current available information and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic to all within the skating community. These actions also represent the current stay-at-home policies reflective across the country (some extending into June) and the reality that most rinks are closed at this time.
2020 National Qualifying Series – Update as of April 10, 2020
- NQS Skater Application (available via EMS) currently scheduled to open May 1 – June 1 will be delayed and tentatively open June 1 – June 28*.
- The NQS will “pause” for the month of June. The Series will begin with events starting in July or with the majority of their event schedule in July**. The previously approved NQS events in June will continue – at the organizers’ choice – as regular non-qualifying events (i.e. scores will not count toward NQS standings).
- Ice Dance will not be included in the NQS this season and will resume in the 2021 NQS. This decision was made upon the recommendation of the dance committee. Ice Dance couples will begin their 2021 qualifying seasons with their respective Sectional Challenges. (Please note that singles and pairs will remain in the Series. This decision was based on input from the singles and pairs committees.)
- As previously communicated on March 26, all approved NQS competitions (list here) are encouraged to continually evaluate their specific situation and whether or not they want to continue to hold their competition regardless of NQS designation. All approved NQS competitions have the ability to change their decision and “opt-out” of NQS for this season with no penalty as it relates to inclusion in the 2021 NQS.
- The Competitions Committee will review the status of the 2020 NQS on Monday, May 18, and take any additional actions at that time, if necessary.
*NQS registration is subject to change from June 1-July pending the review on May 18.
** The Broadmoor Open continues as an NQS event as the majority of its events are in July.