Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
14651 Chelonia Parkway
Orlando, FL 32821
Room rate: $139 + tax per night for standard room (single or double). The triple rate is $169 + tax per night, and the quad rate is $199 + tax per night.
Make reservations here.
Deadline to get the group rate is May 4, 2020. Only a limited number of rooms are available in the block, so register early to make sure you get one.
The closest airport to the hotel is the Orlando International Airport (MCO), which is approximately 20 miles from the hotel. Mears Destination Services (MDS) is the Aviation Authority’s Ground Transportation Concessionaire and provides transportation to the hotel. Additional information is available at https://www.mearstransportation.com/. If you plan to drive to the hotel, the daily parking rates are $11 for self-parking and $22 for valet parking.
Four days of intensive training will be provided by national and international judges. Current and prospective judges may attend for ONE of the following options:
- To test for a Singles Test Judge Appointment only
- To test for a Singles/Pairs Competition Judge Appointment only
- To test for a Singles Test Judge Appointment AND a Singles/Pairs Competition Appointment
- For education only in singles/pairs judging (test and/or competition judging)
- To test for a Dance Test Judge Appointment only
- To test for a Dance Competition Judge Appointment only
- To test for a Dance Test Judge Appointment AND a Dance Competition Appointment
- For education only in dance (test and/or competition judging)
- To test for a Synchronized Competition Judge Appointment only
- To test for a Singles Test Judge Appointment AND a Synchronized Competition Appointment
- To test for a Dance Test Judge Appointment AND a Synchronized Competition Appointment
- For education only in synchronized competition judging
IMPORTANT: Because the education and testing will run in parallel for singles/pairs and dance test appointments, and for singles/pairs, dance and synchronized competition judge appointments, it is NOT possible to attend either section (test or competition judging) for more than one discipline.
The attendees for all disciplines will be combined for education for moves in the field and ethics (on Thursday). The sessions for the different disciplines (singles/pairs, dance and synchronized) will run in parallel for the remainder of the weekend. Those who already hold a moves in the field certification in one discipline (dance or singles/pairs) must still attend the moves in the field portion of the seminar and will still have to judge moves in the field tests as part of their practical exam if approved to test for an appointment in the other discipline.
Thursday, June 4 – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Test Judge Candidates ONLY
- Discussion of code of ethics, judges creed, judging responsibilities, policies and procedures.
- Review moves in the field
- Review marking of tests
Friday, June 5 – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – ALL Candidates
- Review free skate and pairs elements (singles/pairs only) Review element identification (singles/pairs only)
- Review pattern dances and free dance elements (dance only)
- Review turn identification (synchronized only)
- Review 6.0 competition judging system (dance and singles/pairs)
- Review IJS Judging: GOEs (dance, singles/pairs, and synchronized separately)
Saturday, June 6 – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – ALL Candidates
- Test Judge Appointment practical exams (dance and singles separately)
- Review IJS judging: Program component marking (dance, singles/pairs and synchronized separately)
- Competition Judge Appointment Element ID exam (singles/pairs only)
- Competition Judge Appointment Turn ID exam (synchronized only)
Sunday, June 7 – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Competition Judge Candidates ONLY
- Review competition programs, event review discussions (dance, singles/pairs and synchronized separately)
- Competition Judge Appointment practical exams (dance, singles/pairs and synchronized separately)
- $50 to test for a test or competition appointment only
- $75 to test for a test or competition appointment and attend the other portion for education only
- $100 to test for both test and competition appointments
- $50 for test judge education only
- $50 for competition judge education only
- $75 for education only for both test and competition judging
Expenses including travel, hotel and meals are the responsibility of each attendee.
To be eligible to attend, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age by the first day of the seminar to attend
- Be a current member in good standing of U.S. Figure Skating (Learn to Skate USA membership does not fulfill the membership requirement); and
- Hold one or more appointments as a judge OR be registered as a trial judge; and
- Be able to provide references from three to five silver or higher singles or dance test judges or junior sectional or higher synchronized competition judges within the discipline for which you are applying.
- If already holding one or more judging appointments and testing for promotion, must have judged and/or trial judged in the discipline for which you are applying to test over the past two seasons or since earning your first appointment, if earned within the last two seasons. Applicants who already hold an appointment will be asked to upload a one-page summary detailing their judging and trial judging history over the past two years (or since you began trialing if that was less than two years ago).
HOW DO I EARN AN APPOINTMENT THROUGH THE SEMINAR
- A peer evaluation will be completed by the Judges Management Subcommittee as part of the application review process for those who apply to test for a test and/or competition appointment.
- Those who are accepted to the seminar will take a practical exam(s) during the seminar (including Element ID for the singles/pairs competition judge candidates).
- For test judge candidates, those who successfully pass the practical exam(s) will have to take and pass the applicable online exam(s) following the seminar to earn an appointment/promotion. Detailed information and instructions regarding the online exam(s) will be emailed to each candidate, upon request of the seminar moderator, following the seminar.
- Competition judge appointments will be determined following the conclusion of the seminar, pending any test appointments.
FOR WHAT LEVEL CAN I TEST?
Standard candidates are only eligible to test for one level above their current judging appointment (a bronze test judge can only apply for a silver test judge appointment, for example). If you are a standard candidate and do not have a current appointment, you are only eligible to apply for a bronze test judge appointment.
Accelerated/advanced candidates who have no current appointments may choose to start at any of the test judge levels (bronze, silver or gold). If you are seeking promotion to a higher level, apply for the highest level you wish to achieve (i.e. if you are currently a bronze test judge and wish to be promoted to a gold test judge, apply for promotion to gold test judge).
One must already be a silver test judge or higher in the applicable discipline, or pass the silver test judge practical exam or higher in the applicable discipline at the seminar, to be eligible to test for a regional singles/pairs, novice sectional dance or junior sectional synchronized competition judge appointment. One must already be a gold test judge in the applicable discipline, or pass the gold test judge practical exam in the applicable discipline at the seminar, to be eligible to test for a sectional singles/pairs, sectional dance or senior sectional synchronized competition judge appointment.
CEUS AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO ATTEND
- Observing for a test judge appointment only = maximum of 45 CEUs
- Observing for a competition judge appointment only = maximum of 25 CEUs
- Observing for both appointments = maximum of 65 CEUs
- Testing for a test judge appointment only = maximum of 45 CEUs
- Testing for a competition judge appointment only = maximum of 45 CEUs
- Testing for both appointments = maximum of 65 CEUs
APPLICATION AND ACCEPTANCE
To apply, please complete the online application.
Applications will only be accepted through this online form. Payment is not required with the application but will be requested later only of those who are accepted.
SPACE IS LIMITED
The deadline to apply is Sunday, March 15, 2020
No one will be notified of acceptance until the deadline has passed and peer evaluation results have been received. All applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than Friday, April 12, 2020.
Questions regarding the seminar or the online application can be directed to Goleen Samari.