Jump on It! Camp
An Athlete Development Camp for the Technical Elements Score
May 9-11, 2019
Broadmoor World Arena, Colorado Springs, Colorado
U.S. Figure Skating’s Athlete Development Department is excited to announce the fourth camp dedicated to athletes improving their Technical Elements Score. Jump on It! is a two day camp that will be focused primarily on jump exercises from a world and Olympic faculty of coaches, in addition to a focus on spins, skating skills, power and agility and off-ice classes focused on sports science and understanding the judges and technical panel’s evaluations.
Athletes will be divided into groups of approximately 9-12 athletes of similar skill level and age, and move through group classes. All athletes will have the opportunity to work with the entire faculty; all instruction will be in group format.
Coaches are strongly encouraged to attend. There will be an entire coaches’ track, in addition to coaches having the opportunity to observe their own students in several classes.
Parents are also welcome to attend; there will be a separate parent’s education program for all attending parents.
This program is limited to a maximum of 100 athletes, in “Tiers” based on their participation in the 2019 regional, sectional and/or U.S. championships. Please see the registration section for details.
HOW CAMP WORKS
U.S. Figure Skating is responsible for the curriculum, faculty selection and program design. Athletes will be divided into “teams” of 9-12 athletes sorted by skill level and gender. They will stay with their team the entire weekend.
The focus on the camp is developing core skills in the Technical Elements Score, including jumps, spins, skating skills and sports science concepts.
Athletes will rotate through a series of on and off-ice classes focused on those skills. For jump classes, skaters will be organized by jump type (i.e., Lutzes, flips, Axels, etc.). Exercises for working on those skills will be demonstrated to the group, along with criteria for entrances, steps, etc. Athletes will demonstrate the jumps in small groups, receiving feedback with the group. Then, athletes practice the jump on their own, while the instructor gives individual feedback.
Skating skills and all off-ice classes will be in group format with all athletes working together. Team USA athletes will be volunteering, demonstrating and working with athletes all weekend!
Faculty was selected for their expertise in their specific area and represents a variety of top coaches.
2019 Jump On It! Camp Athlete Information Guide
The registration fee for Jump on It!: The Technical Elements Score camp is $495 per athlete. The registration fee includes:
- Approximately 8 hours of on-ice group instruction
- Approximately 5 hours of off-ice instruction
- An opportunity to use "the Spinner" - a new technology in understanding air position and technique
- Lunch Friday & Saturday
- Parents Education track for any accompanying parents
- Two camp performance shirts
REGISTRATION PROCESS & QUALIFICATIONS
Click here to register. The registration deadline for all athletes is April 1, 2019. This camp is open to a maximum of 100 athletes. Athletes may register in three tiers:
- Tier 1: Athletes that competed singles at the 2019 U.S. Championships that earned at least one bonus point for a jump. Tier 1 athletes may register starting on Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
- Tier 2: Athletes that competed singles at the 2019 Sectionals that earned at least one bonus point for a jump at the juvenile level or higher; athletes that competed pairs at the 2019 U.S. Sectionals and/or 2019 U.S. Championships. Tier 2 athletes may register beginning on Wednesday, February 13, 2019.
- Tier 3: Athletes that competed singles at the 2019 Regional Championships that earned at least one bonus point for a jump at the juvenile level or higher may register beginning on Wednesday, February 20, 2019.
*Athletes that competed in juvenile or higher at Regionals in the 2018 season, but did not compete in 2019, due to injury or illness, and plan to compete again, are also welcome to register in Tier 3.
COACHES EDUCATION TRACK
2019 Jump On It! Camp Coaches Education Track Information Guide
To register for the 2019 Jump On It! Coaches Education Track, click here.
Registration will open on Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8 a.m. MT.
Registration fee: $349 per coach.
Deadline to register: April 1, 2019
*May close sooner if capacity is reached.