State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Trophy Unveiled
|The State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championship Trophy created by Tiffany & Co.|
(1/14/05) - This year's U.S. Championships marks the inaugural year of the State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championship Trophy. Designed by Tiffany & Co., the sterling silver trophy includes the names of every U.S. senior champion dating back to the first event in 1914 in ladies singles, men's singles, pairs and ice dancing. Starting in Portland and continuing each year, the trophy will be presented to the winners of each division after each event.
Some interesting facts about the trophy:
- Athletes' names will be engraved onto the historical trophy next to the year they won.
- Adequate room on the trophy to continue documentation through 2033
- The trophy is designed with four abstract blades supporting a sterling silver fluted bowl.
- It is nearly three feet tall and weighs more than 40 pounds.
- It sits atop a four-sided ebonized wood base with sterling silver plaques
- The lower base is designed to stand alone or for the trophy to sit atop for display and engraved with the competition categories and champions.
- The top base features a silver reflector plate with a domed center.
Tiffany & Co. has also designed trophies for the World Series, National Basketball Association and Women's National Basketball Association Championship, Super Bowl and U.S. Open Tennis Championship.