Volunteer for the 2005 State Farm U.S. Championships
(7/8/04) — If you're interested in being a volunteer at the 2005 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Portland, Ore., get your pencil ready. Applications for volunteer positions are due Sept. 1.
Volunteers are required to be available for at least four shifts of six hours each and follow a general code of conduct. There will also be a mandatory orientation and training session approximately one month before the event.
The Oregon Skating Council, host of the 2005 championships, will do its best to accommodate any preferences specified on applications, including requests to be scheduled with friends and family. However, the council cannot guarantee particular assignments. Applicants are encouraged to include additional information on the back of the application that may help in placement decisions.
Due to the nature of this high-profile event, each volunteer applicant is required to consent to a criminal history check. This procedure is done to protect both volunteers and the competition participants. All information will be kept strictly confidential.
The competition and practice sites for the championships will be the Rose Garden Arena and Memorial Coliseum. Volunteers will receive two ticket vouchers that will be good for selected events and one ticket to the Chevy Skating Spectacular. Volunteers will not be allowed to watch the actual competitions without a ticket. Volunteers also receive a commemorative volunteer uniform to be worn during shifts and a souvenir pin.
Sweeper Auditions and Presenters
The local organizing committee is conducting an audition to determine the official sweepers for the event and is also accepting applications to select the official presenters during awards ceremonies. Official selected candidates will appear on ice during the 2005 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 9-16, 2005.
Sweeper auditions will be held on Oct. 2, 2004. The deadline for submitting an entry form for the sweeper audition or submitting an application to be considered as a presenter is Aug. 31, 2004. Please note, the membership requirements listed below apply to sweepers and presenters; they do not apply to volunteers as listed above.
Sweeper Candidate Requirements
- All candidates are required to be a member of an Oregon-based U.S. Figure Skating club during the 2004-05 season.
- All candidates must be a registered member prior to the audition entry deadline of Aug. 31, 2004.
- All candidates must have passed the preliminary moves-in-the-field test prior to Aug. 31, 2004.
- All candidates must be ages 7-14 as of Aug. 31, 2004.
- All candidates are required to be a member of an Oregon-based U.S. Figure Skating club July 1, 2003, to June 30, 2005.
- All candidates must have passed the preliminary moves-in-the-field test prior to Aug.31, 2004.
- All candidates must be ages 14 and older as of Aug. 31, 2004.
For more information, visit the 2005 State Farm U.S. Championships web site.