Report of Action - Fall Board of Directors Meeting
REPORT OF ACTION
taken by the
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
at their meeting in
Colorado Springs, Colorado
October 31-November 1, 2003
Actions of the Board of Directors which affect the rules of U.S. Figure Skating must be ratified by the Governing Council which meets annually each May. Actions ratified by the Governing Council go into effect on September 1 of a year unless otherwise stated in the action.
The Board of Directors took the following actions:
1. RECEIVED the report of the Minutes Committee of the Board of Directors meeting held in Norfolk, Va., on May 7, 2003, approving the minutes.
2. APPROVED the election of Tony Morici as treasurer to fill the unexpired term of Terrance Kollar.
3. APPROVED the election of Jeffrey Vinik to a three-year term on the Board of Trustees of the USFS Foundation.
4. ANNOUNCED that the 2004 Annual Fall Meeting of the Board of Directors would take place on October 29 and 30, 2004, in Colorado Springs, Colo., at the World Arena Doubletree Hotel.
5. APPROVED the following referee's promotions:
- Charles Cyr, National Event Referee
- Taffy Holliday, National Event Referee
- Charles Cyr, National Dance Event Referee
6. APPROVED to grant the following sanctions:
- International Figure Skating Challenge
- Northwest U.S., April 2004 – Final site/dates TBD after the U.S. Championships
- 2004 National Collegiate Championships — Troy SC, Troy, Ohio, Aug. 6-8, 2004
- North American Challenge Skate — San Jose, Calif., Aug. 19-22, 2004
- 2005 U.S. Figure Skating Championships — Oregon Skating Council, Portland, Ore., Jan. 9-16, 2005
- 2005 U.S. Junior Figure Skating Championships — Jamestown SC, Jamestown, New York, December 1-4, 2004
- 2005 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships — Silver Blades FSC, Kansas City, Kan., April 13-17, 2005
- 2005 National Collegiate Championships — Hawaii FSC, Honolulu, Hawaii, Aug. 9-12, 2005
- 2005 U.S. Synchronized Team Skating Championships — Colonial FSC, West Acton, Mass., Dates TBA
7. APPROVED to add a new rule to the Competitions Committee rules as follows:
CR 8.70 COACHES
CR 8.71 Any coach being credentialed for a U.S. Figure Skating qualifying competition is required to be a member of both U.S. Figure Skating and the Professional Skaters Association (PSA).
8. APPROVED the following judging promotions:
- Laurie Saori Johnson, National Judge
- Jonathan Geen, National Judge
- Eric Hampton, National Dance Judge
9. REFERRED to the Judges, Judges Review, and Rules Committees a proposal that the Judges Review Committee be designated a subcommittee of the Judges Committee, which would require a modification to JRCR 1.01.
10. DID NOT APPROVE that eligible coaches (with or without a judging appointment) NOT trial judge while they are still actively involved with coaching. This would have resulted in a modification to ER 8.06 and JR 4.08 (A).
11. APPROVED that coaches with judging appointments (below national level) follow the wording under JR 13.03 where the candidate will be reinstated to active status in consultation with the sectional vice chair who shall designate the activity needed to regain full active status.
SANCTIONS AND ELIGIBILITY COMMITTEE
12. APPROVED the reinstatement of the following persons to fully eligible status
Name, Club, Reason
- Stefanie Oakes (761393), St. Lawrence FSC, Compete
- Mary Westbrook (551235), Tulsa FSC, Judge
13. APPROVED the reinstatement of the following person to fully eligible status as of May 9, 2004.
Name, Club, Reason
- Theodore Clarke (227301), The SC of Boston, Judge
14. APPROVED the acceptance of a new trophy for the Northwest Pacific juvenile girls event. The trophy is to be awarded retroactively to the 2003 and 2004 winners. It is being donated by the friends of Deann Olson.
15. APPROVED a sanction for the 2004 Junior Grand Prix event to be held in Long Beach, Calif., hosted by the Glacier Falls FSC, on Sept. 9-12, 2004
16. APPROVED an amendment to CR 19.05 as follows:
Trial judges who have been approved in accordance with JR 16.00 and who have not been assigned as an official of the competition may be charged reasonable fees by the host organization to cover administrative
and hospitality costs. …
17. APPROVED the selection of Atlantic City, N.J., as the site for the 2005 Skate America International.
18. CONCURRED that the selection of the site for the 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championships be referred to the Executive Committee for action.
Synchronized Management Subcommittee
19. APPROVED to add the following, as item (d) under STSCR 5.05
The U.S. World University Games Team shall consist of the highest placing synchronized skating team in the senior division at the most recent U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships comprised of athletes that meet the student eligibility requirement set forth by International University Sports Federation (FISU). The remaining selection (if designated) shall be based upon the two most recent U.S. Synchronized Team Championships and all other international events.
20. APPROVED an end of year $10,000.00 grant to include the 4th place juvenile and intermediate singles, pairs and dance athletes from the 2004 U.S. Junior Championships in the development team.
21. APPROVED that the Adult Skating Committee and Rules Committee consider and draft an appropriate bylaws change to make the Adult Skating Committee a permanent committee of U.S. Figure Skating.
22. APPROVED an amendment to item #2 of the Report of Action of the Executive Committee meeting of Oct. 30, 2003 as follows:
After the Events Advisory Board makes a recommendation to the Executive Committee and the Executive Committee approves the recommendation, that the Board of Directors is informed of the decision and material is sent to the Board of Directors detailing the decision rationale.