USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
This summer, hundreds of skaters from clubs all across the country attended skating camps. One of the most popular was the Grassroots to Champions Super Camp (G2C) which has grown enormously over the last few years.
“I had always wanted to produce a training situation where coaches and their skaters from across the U.S. come together to share in a learning process,” said Olympic Coach and G2C founder Audrey Weisiger. “The first camp was held at Shattuck St. Mary’s in Faribault, Minn. and we had about 50 skaters. This year we were sold out and had 120 skaters.”
Skaters flocked to this summer’s camp to spend a week getting coached by elite skaters and coaches. Weisger was most proud of her guest coaching staff which included Kori Ade, Tom Zakrajsek, Pasquale Carmerlengo, Ryan Bradley, Mirai Nigasu, Jeremy Barrett, Trevor Laak, Nick Perna, Chris Conte, Douglas Webster, Doug Mattis, Sheila Thelen, Madison Hubble and Zachary Donahue.
In addition to the coaches, the camp also featured Caroline Silby, a renowned sports psychologist, Carrie Banner Aprik, a nutritionist, and singer/songwriter Connor Garvey, who helped the skaters express their goals and develops leadership skills.
Shelia Thelen, who has hosted and coached at six G2C Super Camps loves to watch the skaters’ growth as they progress throughout the week.
“We have so many coaches and guest coaches,” she said. “My week is filled with growth and creativity from the little skaters through the World team members. Everyone just loves skating and process of “developing” good skaters. I am honored to be a part of Grassroots to Champions.”
G2C Super camps are held in different locations each year to allow skaters from various regions to participate. Over the years, the camp has taken place in Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts and New York
“Part of the criteria in location selection is proximity to housing, affordability of ice time (2 ice surfaces required) ease of travel and support from the facility and staff,” Weisiger said. “This year we had a wonderful situation in East Lansing at Suburban Ice. The kids boarded at Michigan State University dorms and had fantastic food service.”
What makes the G2C camp so special and unique?
“The camp is all inclusive,” Weisiger said. “All levels work alongside each other so that the highest group is inspiring the less experienced groups. It was very motivating for younger skaters to see elite competitors Jordan Moeller and Hannah Miller train at this year’s camp. There is also a great camaraderie when all the skaters perform together in the group number.”
Thelen believes it is Wesiger’s dedication that makes the camp thrive.
“Her desire to bring together the top coaches and work as a team has created a huge opportunity for these coaches and those striving to become top coaches,” Thelen said. “Her vision for figure skating is fundamental in creating solid basics and skating. The goal of loving skating and dedication to skills and artistry is true leadership. When you bring that much talent and dedication together wonderful things happen.”
Teaming up is the key to creating great skaters. This is about the skaters. The G2C staff uses all of their expertise and knowledge into creating a great learning environment for skaters and guest coaches. Everyone wants to get better.”
For Wesiger, the greatest joy is watching skaters experience a sense of accomplishment.
“We had three new double Axels landed in Lansing,” she said. “ There were cheers and tears of joy from many.”
The 2014 Camp Slogan featured the words “I CAN! I WILL!”
“We coaches have as much fun and experience the same sense of camaraderie as the kids do, “Weisiger said. “ Camp creates lasting friendships and memories we all cherish.”
For more information on the G2C Super Camp and all Grassroots to Champions activities visit their website.
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas